The Antminer models are predominant cryptocurrency-making mining devices, the setting-up of Antminer models are pretty much the same, we will present a general tutorial for setting up Antminer models.
We will take S9 as an example to introduce setting up and troubleshooting which applies equally to other models of Antminer.
- Please prepare PSU: the PSU is recommended to be 20% or more higher than the power consumption of the miner. You can use several PSUs to connect to one miner, but please DON’T connect one PSU to more than 1 miner or more than one hashing board.
- Connect the miner to the router by internet cord.
- For miner configuration, please use the ethernet cord to connect the miner to the same router which your PC also connected. (Your PC is just needed for miner configuration)
Let’s take Antminer S9 as an example in the following tutorial.
- Please check if all the cables on the miner to make sure they are inserted tightly.
- There are 10 x 6pin ports on the miner. All the 6pin ports are needed. You need to connect all the 6pin ports to your PSU. (Don’t forget to connect the 6pin port on the little green controller board)
- Important: there are 3 hashing boards in the miner, and 3 x 6pin ports on each hashing board. DON’T connect more than one PSU to one hashing board. (That’s means, the 6pin cords you connected to one hashing board should come from only one PSU.). See below pictures for the correct connection and the incorrect connection.
- Correct Connection:
- Incorrect Connection:
- Insert the ethernet cord.
- Miner connection DONE.
- Power on the miner. (Important: If you used several PSUs for the miner, you should power on the PSU which connected to the 6pin port on the little green controller FINALLY).
- Wait for about 1~2 minutes.
- Then, please use software to scan out the IP of the miner on your PC. For how to scan out the IP of the miner, check here: https://www.eastshore.xyz/how-to-scan-out-the-configuration-ip-address-of-the-miner/
- Then, you can log into the miner configuration page for miner configuration. Please open your internet browser, such as Google Chrome, IE etc. and open the IP address you just scanned out (For example, 192.168.1.2). The username and the password are all “root“
- Navigating to the “Miner Status” page and keep refreshing the page until some data (Speed, miner account, pool etc.) is shown on the page (This means, the mining is starting. Generally, the miner need about 3~7 minutes to start mining). The fan of the miner maybe gets loudly and slowly for several times while you are waiting. And sometimes, the data on the page maybe disappear again just a few seconds or one minute after the mining starts, don’t worry, please waiting for the miner working constantly.
- Navigating to the “Miner Configuration“ page, configuring your mining pool address, mining account, miner password etc. Then click “Save & Apply” to save the changes, then wait for about 1 minutes for the setting applying.
- Please make sure the pool address and the mining worker are set correctly. Generally, the pool address for different coins is different. For example, in the Antpool, the pool address may be:
- Generally, you can get the correct mining pool address on the pool homepage. Also, we suggest you have a look at the “Help” section of your mining pool.
- Change to the page “Miner Status” again, and please refreshing the page until there are some data shown on the page. Then the mining is starting.
- The “Summary” section of the “Miner Status” page showing the speed of the miner.
- The “Miner Status” page of Antminer S9 is quite different from the “Miner Status” page Antminer S7. You will find out that there are two temperatures here, one is “Temp(PCB)” and another is “Temp(Chip)“.
- The “Temp(Chip)” may get as high as 115 degrees, that’s normal, please don’t worry.
- The “Temp(PCB)” is the temperature of the miner.
- If there is no any data shown for a very long time (for example 30 minutes) or there are a “BiBi” noise comes from the miner, please try to restart the miner (power off it, wait a minute, then power on it again). After restarted, please change to the page “Miner Status” page and waiting for data showing.
- If you have any problem, please level us a comment, we will reply your comment to help you figure out the problem.
Please pay more attention to the following tips if you are running several miners(<= 10 miners) together:
- The heat dissipation
- Please make sure all the hot wind which comes out of the fan(of the miner) will be exhausted timely.
- And what’s more, all the hot wind would be exhausted in the same direction, and there is no hot wind will be blown into other miners’ air inlet end.
- If you connected several miners into one power strip which is connected to the socket on the wall, you need to:
- Please check the maximum current rating of your power strip.
- For example, in China, for some of the power strips, the maximum current rating is about 2000w. As the power consumption of the miner is nearly 1400w, so it is better to connect ONLY ONE miner into one power strip. Or the miner might stop working.
Issues of malfunctioning can only exist in these aspects:
So to rule out the identify what’s exactly causing the issue, we need to:
- Check the connection of cables: Check if all the cables on the miner inserted tightly. Especially the three cables connected to the hash board(and the cable for the fan). They may get loose in the shipping.
- Check the connection of network: Check your home network, the mining pool to make sure all the network are working well.
- Check other devices on your network: Is there any possibility that some other devices occupy the IP address of your miner? Try to unplug all other devices(for example, other miners if you have several) in your network to run only the miner.
- Change an internet explorer when you try to login the configuration page of the miner.
- Change a network for the miner: Try to change a router for the miner, or, move miners to another place, for example, your office.
- Change to another pool.
- Check the miner: Have any heat sinks fallen off? Give the machine a gentle shake and double-check that no heat sinks have become loose or fallen off in transit.
- Check the PSU: Is your PSU working? If you also bought the Antminer 1600w PSU(APW3-12-1600-B2) for the miner, please make sure your home voltage is stable. The working voltage of this PSU should be >= 205V(For the Antminer APW3++ PSU, the working voltage is 110V – 220V, which is 1600w for 200V – 240V and 1200w for 100V – 140V). If your home voltage is not stable, the PSU may stop working(or with the fun working but no power output). In this occasion, you may need to get a voltage stabilizer for the PSU.
- Update firmware: Check tutorial here: https://www.eastshore.xyz/how-to-upgrade-the-firmware-for-a-bitcoin-miner/
- Try to reset the miner: https://www.eastshore.xyz/how-to-reset-antminer/
- Change the signal cables. Generally, there are three signal cables on the miner connecting the three hashing boards to the controller. Please try to change those cables to see if the problems were gone.
- Swap controllers: Take out the controller from a working miner and use it on the non-working one, see how it goes. On top of the miner, there is a silver cover fixated by screws, in it:
- For Antminer S5/S7: There is a black chunk on top of a green board, you should swap the whole part(the green board + the black chunk)
- For Antminer S9/T9/R4: There is only a green board, that is the controller
Take out the screws on the silver cover, remove it, and check if the controller is loosening or not, and replace it with the one from a working miner. That will help us identify if it’s the controller causing the problem. If the miner works well after swapping controller, then the original controller on that unwork miner is problematic.
- Disconnect the cables used to connect the boards, run only one single board at a time. This is to identify if every board is fine working on its own, and which board is problematic.
As long as it’s not that the chips on boards are broken, the 1-4 issues can all be fixed at home.
If it’s confirmed:
- send it back us for repair or replacement.
For all the troubles you get in the mining, please DO try all the above suggestions.